Dogs must be under control (on a leash) or confined in their yard or kennel. They are not to run loose through the neighborhood. If there is a problem animal in your area (running loose, excessive barking, threatening other animals or humans), please call the Animal Control Officer (Cache County Sheriff's Department) at (435) 716-9400 to report the dog and, if possible, where the owner lives.

All dog licenses expire on December 31st of each year. The licenses must be renewed annually; in January and February the license for a spayed or neutered dog is $5.00 while the license for an intact dog is $10.00.

These fees double beginning March 1st.

Proof of rabies vaccination is required.

Puppies do not need to be licensed until two months old.

If someone moves into Richmond anytime during the year, they have 10 days to license their dog(s). The exception is if they have a puppy less than two months old; then they may wait until it turns two months old.

Residents wishing to keep three to six dogs must apply for a conditional-use permit , which is good for three years, as well as a kennel license  which costs $50 per year;  the fee doubles March 1st if the renewal is not paid on-time.

A minimum of 14,500 square feet including buildings is needed to keep three dogs. Keeping four to six dogs requires a minimum of 20,000 square feet.

See Richmond Municipal Code 13-260 for more information.


If you are opening a business in town, running a business from your home, or doing business within the community, you will need to obtain a business license. Make sure and review the fire code requirements, click HERE

Please contact the City Administrator at (435) 258-2092 for more information.

Business licenses must also be renewed annually.


County and City ordinance requires citizens to obtain a burn permit before burning any trash, weeds, etc. The permit doesn't cost anything, but you will be fined a minimum of $200 if you have an illegal burn, i.e. one that you did not get a permit for. Items not approved for burning include tires, rubber, plastic, insulation, and construction debris. Burns are not allowed if the burn index or air quality numbers are outside the approved parameters. You will be assigned a permit number. All fires must be out by sundown; someone must be present while the fire is active.

The State Department of Air Quality (DAQ) has set the rules for open burn seasons and offers an online application. Key things to remember when using this site:

The open burn can only be requested for that day, i.e., if you want to burn on Saturday you need to request it that day.

You will NOT receive an email from the local fire department stating your permit has been approved. On the final page of the online application, be sure to print your permit or at least write down the permit number the system assigns you.

If you don't have internet at home, the Richmond Public Library offers free computer access. You may also contact DAQ for a printed application; however, it may take up to 14 days for approval.